Hasn’t that always been the case?
And honestly, aside from the nationalistic purview of individuals and governments of other nations, it isn’t really a bad thing.
(Courtesy: Law Street)
Just like a group needs a leader to stay organized, efficient and in harmony – the world needs a leader as well.
And the USA has been playing that role for decades.
It is powerful: financially, military-wise and technologically. Its democratic structure is much robust.
Sure, in recent times China has emerged to be a top competitor for that role of the world’s leader. But that’s a whole different topic altogether.
(Courtesy: World Economic Forum)
Point is, the world requires a leader. It needs a nation that brings together different countries, resolves issues, has a greater say and brings order in the global state of affair.
And this is something that need not be taken on jingoistic ego. It’s a good thing.
Now, there can be multiple debates on how effectively has the USA played the role of a global leader.
At the moment, under the Trump government, the United States is failing miserably. (Pulling out of the Paris Agreement in 2017 is the worst decision Trump administration could have made!)
With the “America First” approach, the USA, at present, is de-globalizing. And it’s not necessarily a good thing. It’s creating a vacuum in the global leadership position with China and Russia striding fast towards it.
In such case, when the USA steps down from its role of a global leader, there are many dynamics that to this change of power that we must understand. For instance, who will next become a leader? What are its vested interests? What kind of government does it have? How does it get along with other countries? What is its take on social injustices?
Also, yes, the world has the United Nations, one can argue, to act as a leader of the countries. However, even there, there are plenty of things that need to be factored. It has its own legislative, executive and judicial guidelines and propositions. It hasn’t always been effective in all issues. Plus, it’s not really a “leader” but a group of countries working together for mutual benefits.
(Courtesy: Washington Post)
To answer your exact question, let me now connect all the dots…
- Yes, the USA is trying to be the supreme power of the world.
- BUT it isn’t such a bad thing. There are many benefits to it. The world needs a leader.
- America is DIFFERENT under the Trump presidency vs., for example, how it was under Barack Obama.
- As a leader, the USA can “order” other countries – like President Donald Trump is doing right now by demanding states to stop trade with Tehran.
- However, as a good leader, the USA “SHOULD NOT” order other countries – like how it used to be when Obama was the president.
- The “order” should be replaced with “request” and sensible diplomatic measures. This would make for good leadership, which is what, again, the world needs.
Hope this answers your question clearly!