Hardware-based Vs. Software-based Surveillance recording
The recording part in surveillance systems is very very important, all investigation is initiated based on the recorded video available.Basically, there is two type of recording systems available and one needs to be very careful while selecting right kind of recording systems suitable for their project. Please find below the details, advantages and disadvantages of surveillance recording systems.
1.Hardware-based Surveillance recording
- The hardware-based recording is nothing but Linux-based embedded recording systems, the software is OEM embedded and the examples are DVR and NVR.This form of the recording system is very useful for the small and medium project, following are the advantages and disadvantages of the same.
- Very Useful for the small and medium project.
- Protected from any virus attack.
- Very useful for nontechnical users.
- Available with all CCTV manufacturer.
- Very user-friendly.
- Mostly camera, hardware, and software are proprietary.
- Camera and hard-disc option are limited.
- Due to cost-cutting and competition, there is a compromise in hardware.
- Limited bandwidth.
- More often clogs.
- Upgradation difficult.
- Restricted to very few brand of camera.
- Specialised CCTV technician required for maintenance.
Mostly camera, hardware, and software are
2. Software-based Surveillance recording
A software-based recording is nothing but a combination of normal System(Server) with third-party Video Management Software, this form of recording systems is very useful for a large project. Find below the advantages and disadvantages of the same.
1 Suitable for a large project.
2.Comfortably merged with existing available IT Infrastructure.
- Mostly nonproperitary.
- Unlimited camera and hard-disc option.
- Option for selecting best available IT hardware.
- Very user-friendly to IT.
- Can be maintained along with IT infrastructure.
- Failover server supports available easily.
- Easy Upgradation.
- We can select the hardware and third-party software of our choice Individually.
- Mostly camera, hardware, and software are independent of each other.
- Vulnerable to Virus attack.
- Not very user-friendly from a user point of view.
- Comparatively costly.
- Need to select hardware based on Software requirement.
- Mostly third-party software.
Both forms of recording system have their own advantages and disadvantages, we need to select the systems based on our strength and requirement. If we have a good IT infrastructure and large project, we can always opt for Software-based recording. For nontechnical and smaller project we can select a hardware-based recording.