The air we breathe is 78 percent nitrogen and 21 percent oxygen. Nitrogen gas is non- combustible, non-flammable, non-corrosive in pure form and environmentally friendly. Nitrogen tyre gas does not attack or oxidize the rubber of the tyre from the inside like air does. It is a pure gas, so it does not hold heat and the tyres run cooler.
• The key benefits are a slower rate of pressure loss and cooler running temperature of tyres.
• The molecular structure of nitrogen differs from that of air, in such a way that it escapes through the tyre’s inner liner or tube at a slower rate than regular compressed air.
• The result is a dramatically slower rate of pressure loss in a tyre filled with nitrogen. For example, it might take up to six months to lose 0.14kpa with nitrogen, compared to just one month with compressed air.
• Tyres inflated with nitrogen also run cooler than those inflated with air, with some significant advantages.
• One such advantage is an improvement in tyre life of up to 20% because by reducing the tyre’s running temperature, you can increase its tread life.
• Improved road handling is another benefit that stems from cooler running tyres.
• As tyres heat up, their inflation pressure increases, which then reduces the size of the tyre’s footprint - the area that has contact with the road - the tyre then loses grip because of this smaller footprint. So the cooler they run the better the tyres will grip the road.
• Nitrogen should lead to reduced corrosion - because unlike air there's no moisture in pure nitrogen
Note: Generally, nitrogen filling costs INR 25/- per tyre and lasts longer than normal air.