Sridevi captured millions of hearts with her gold costumes and charming dance numbers. She also left a million hearts broken when news broke out recently that she had passed away due to a sudden cardiac arrest in Dubai where she had gone with her family to attend nephew Mohit Marwah’s wedding.
Sridevi is rightly called the first female superstar of Bollywood. Her performances in the late 80s and 90s smashed box-office numbers and she set a new high for all actors and actresses alike in her time. Even before entering Bollywood she had made her name in the Tamil, telugu and Kannad film industries. Here are her five most memorable roles:
1. English Vinglish (2012)- The only reason to start the list with this movie is because it perhaps remains the freshest in every Sridevi fan's memory. Her portrayal of homemaker, Shashi Godbole, always the laughing stock of her family members because of her poor English was perhaps one of her best performances.
2. Mr. India (1987)- There is nothing much to say about this cult classic that is nothing short of a superhero movie. We can only leave you with Hawa Hawaii, Mogambo khush huwa and the invisibility device.
3. Sadma (1983)- Although it did not create box office records in its time, it is one of the finest, most heart-wrenching movies to have come out of the Hindi movie industry. Sridevi’s performance was highly acclaimed and appreciated.
4. Chaalbaaz (1989)- The movie is considered to be one of the best comedies of Hindi cinema. Sridevi did a marvelous job in this remake and managed to do total justice to the original role portrayed by Hema Malani.
5. Chandni (1989)- Often known as Sridevi’s most memorable film, Chandni was the biggest hit in its time. Not only that, but it also won a national award.