Today is the birthday of India’s sixth Prime Minister, Rajiv Gandhi. We all no that he was one of the most important members and ministers of Congress. He is still remembered for his oratorical skills. He helped Congress explore new heights of success. But right after his unfortunate demise, the downfall of Congress started in many ways. No one could lead the Congress the way Rajiv Gandhi, Indira Gandhi, and Jawarhar Lal Nehru had –be it Dr. Manmohan Singh, or Narsimha Rao. The state of Congress certainly deteriorated after Rajiv Gandhi’s death. But what would have been the scenario, had he been alive?
Congress when Rajiv Gandhi was alive:
• For India, Rajiv Gandhi laid the foundation in 21st century. ‘Rajiv Yuga’ in India was popular and is memorable as it brought modernization, economic development, technological development, cooperative federalism, resource based agricultural development and many other progressive schemes.
• Rajiv Gandhi changed the course of economic development in India, which helped the country to position itself globally.
• He reduced the tax on technological business enterprises. Moreover, Rajiv Gandhi improved communication, defense, and import policies.
• Modernized business enterprises to welcome foreign investment in India.
• Rajiv Gandhi tries tieing the country in one knot, and was successful in keeping up the spirit of Indira Gandhi along with the popularity of Congress.
Congress after Rajiv Gandhi’s death:
• The 1991 bomb blast in Tamil Nadu became the reason of Rajiv Gandhi’s death. A planned assassination, the bomb blast, killed hundreds of people.
• Rajiv Gandhi’s death invited sympathy from the public and Congress stayed popular. But this was not for long. Now after Dr. Mnmohan Singh and Narsimha Rao, we can’t see any good Prime Minister coming from Congress. Since 2009, foundations of Congress are shaking. Both the mother-son duo of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi are trying their best to stay upright in politics but their failures are more visible than ever. And Rahul Gandhi is failing the nation as Rajiv Gandhi’s son.
• Now Congress has lost the popularity which can’t be brought back. Congress would not have been in this state had Rajiv Gandhi been alive. He would have served the nation as well as saved Congress.
(Translated from Hindi by Team Lets Diskuss)