Karwa Chauth is celebrated by married women to pray for the long life of their husband. It is celebrated in the month of Karthik, on the fourth day of Krishna Paksha. The fast observed on this day by married women is known as “Karak Vrat”. The festival is much like Ahoi Ashtmi and Teej. The fast starts from 4 am in the morning and is broken at night, only after seeing the moon.
Here are some rules that are to be followed for the fast of Karwa Chauth:
• Those who are keeping this fast, have to wake up at 4 am. Fastees can drink water until the sun is up. Once the sun rises, the fast begins and fastess can’t eat or drink anything the whole day.
• Do not remove your make up and accessories immediately after the pooja is over.
• You have to keep adorned with all your make up and accessories at least for two hours after the Karwa Chauth pooja.
• Putting bindi is mandatory in pooja, and after pooja as well, don’t remove it.
• Don’t cut hair on the day of Karwa Chauth. You should also not oil your hair on this day.
• Don’t wear black or white clothes on this day. In Karwa Chauth pooja, wearing red clothes is the best.
• Don’t give or take any white colored object on this day.
• Don’t do any needle work on this day.
• Don’t wash clothes on the day of Karwa Chauth.
These are some things that need to be kept in mind while observing the fast of Karwa Chauth.