Gujarati Dabeli is one of the most delicious delicacies of the state of
Gujarat, and indeed, it is no less than a spicy-tangy rendezvous for all the foodies.
Here’s how you can make it at home.
• Pav (buns): 8
• Butter: 2 tablespoons
• Green chutney: ½ cup
• Sweet chutney: ½ cup
• Masala peanuts: 2 tablespoons
• Coriander leaves (finely chopped): ½ cup
• Pomegranate buds: ½ cup
• Sev namkeen: 1 cup
Ingredients for Dabeli masala:
• Coriander seeds: 2 teaspoons
• Cumin: 1 teaspoon
• Cinnamon: a small piece
• Red chili (chopped): 1
• Black pepper (crushed): 3-4
• Clove: 2
Ingredients for Dabeli stuffing:
• Potatoes (boiled): 4
• Tomatoes (chopped): 4
• Onion (chopped): 1
• Green chili (chopped): 1
• Butter: 1 tablespoon
• Oil: 1 tablespoon
• Cumin: ½ teaspoon
• Turmeric: 1 teaspoon
• Asafetida: a pinch
• Sugar: 3 teaspoons
• Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
• Salt: according to taste
Method to make Dabeli masala:
• Put a pan on the gas and heat it. Roast red chili in the pan and then add other ingredients mentioned for Dabeli masala. Roast the masala until it turns brown. Keep it aside to cool.
Method for Dabeli stuffing:
• Put a deep frying pan on the gas and heat both butter and edible oil together in it. When the oil and butter are heated, add asafetida and cumin. Add chopped onion, green chili, turmeric powder, sugar, and salt, and fry well.
• Add tomatoes and cook for a while. Add boiled potatoes after mashing them with your hands to it. Also, add the masala prepared before. Sprinkle the lemon juice from above.
Method for preparing Dabeli:
• Take the buns and cut each one in two halves.
• Heat the pan and roast these buns after applying butter on them.
• On one half of the toasted bun, apply green chutney. And apply sweet chutney on the other half.
• Keep one half as the base (just like we do in a burger), and spread the stuffing prepared earlier all over it.
• Sprinkle sev namkeen, masala peanuts, pomegranate buds, and coriander from above, and cover it with the other half of the bun.
• Repeat the method for making more Dabeli.