The two most obvious answers are 1) for its beautiful and adventurous hills, and 2) as the birth place of Gautam Buddha.
Some things for which Nepal is famous are:
• It is Nepal where the highest mountain range of the world, Mount Everest is located.
• If you think India is the only country with wide diversity then this fact about Nepal would amaze you. Nepal is known for its rich culture and tradition which owes to 100 different castes of people with different lifestyle.
• Located in the lap of great Himalaya, Nepal is famous for its rich water resources.
• Needless to say it is famous for the biodiversity and rich flora and fauna that it inhabits.
• One more obvious thing is momos, which have the most authentic taste than other hilly regions.
• Talking of food and cuisine, Nepal is also famous for its staple food Dal-Bhat, which is rice and lentil soup.
• It’s amazing that in so small a country, more than 123 languages are spoken, while the national language, Nepali is spoken only by 44.6% of population.
• Nepal is a country which has always been in talks due to the records made there, like the tallest mountain in the world (Mt Everest 8.848m), the deepest gorge (Kali Gandaki, 1200m) and the highest lake on earth (Tilicho Lake, 4,919m).