Blinds, which are being much preferred over curtains these days, come in 14 different types:
1. Vertical Blinds: These blinds have individual slats which run along a track at the top of a blind. Depending on the design, vertical blinds either open from either side, or part in the middle. They make floor to ceiling windows really attractive.
2. Venetian Blinds: These are the most popular type of blinds. Venetian Blinds have horizontal slats which open from bottom to top.
3. Mini Blinds: They operate like venetian blinds, but the width of their slats is smaller than venetian blinds.
4. Micro Blinds: The slats in these blinds are even smaller than mini blinds.
5. Panel Blinds: They are popularly used for patio doors. The sections in these blinds move along a track side by side.
6. Pleated Shades: These shades have pleats forming an accordion like pattern, which closes and opens, and hence the blinds can be raised and lowered. They are made from fabric or paper.
7. Cellular Shades: They look like pleated shades and the fabric is also same as them. These shades have pockets which capture heat or cold and provide insulation.
8. Roman Shades: They are traditional shades made from jute. It opens up like a venetian blind –opening up into itself.
9. Roller Shades: These shades, made up of natural or synthetic fabrics, can be rolled up or down according to your convenience.
10. Tie-up shades: They are in between a shade and a curtain. Ranging from a broad types of materials, these shades can be tied up in the middle.
11. Solar Shades: The main purpose of these shades is to reduce sunlight and UV rays in the room. Their design is much like roller shades.
12. Outdoor Shades: They are made up of hard materials, which are often weather resistant. They reduce the sunlight from outside, and hence are most commonly used in patios and decks.
13. Skylight Shades: They also have insulating properties and are available in roller, pleated and cellular variants.
14. Smart Blinds: They are a part of smart home technology, and are becoming increasingly common. They sync with a smartphone application, which can be operated by an individual, as well as a group.