How much important it is to keep lungs healthy and efficiently working is known to everyone, so the main question is always, how to do that. Lungs, when affected in any way, do not only cause respiratory problems, but affect the health of the whole body.
When it comes to the health of lungs in association with food, good lung function has always been associated with high intakes of vitamins C, E, and beta-carotene, citrus fruits, apples, and fruit juices. Along with this, vitamin A supports respiratory tract linings, and may lower the risk of lung infections.
Some specific food items that are regarded as beneficial for the health of lungs by doctors are given below:
• Garlic: Garlic contains Allicin, which is known for its multiple health benefits. Garlic’s anticancer, and blood pressure-lowering properties makes it a great food for lungs.
• Ginger: How many times have you been advised to take a cup of hot tea with ginger whenever you have caught cough and cold? The answer in your head is the evidence of ginger’s remedial properties. It is the effect of a compound found in ginger, known as, gingerol.
• Apple: Wondering how much “an apple a day, keeps the doctor away” is true? Well, it has no bounds if you ask me. Apples are rich in antioxidants and certain phytonutrients which help in reducing the risk of asthma, cancer, inflammation, and cardiovascular disease.
• Fatty Fish: Fatty fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, antioxidative, and heart protective properties. Not just for lungs, fatty fish like mackerel and salmon, keep your overall health in good condition.
• Turmeric: Known as the golden spice, turmeric is already famous for its medicinal values. The main active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin, an antioxidant, which has anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial qualities.