Pickle is one of the main ingredients of an Indian platter. It is something without which an Indian’s food can never be complete.
Here’s how I make mixed pickle at home.
• Cauliflower (chopped): ½ kg
• Carrot (cut in small, vertical pieces): ½ kg
• Radish (cut in small vertical pieces): ½ kg
• Green chili: 8-10
• Mustard oil: ½ cup
• Asafetida: a pinch
• Mustard (crushed): 2 tablespoons
• Salt: According to taste
• Red chili powder: ½ teaspoon
• Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
• Lemon juice: 3 tablespoon
• Water: 2 cups
• Boil some water (with salt in it) in a utensil.
• When the water is boiled, add all the vegetables in it and boil for 5-7 minutes.
• Turn off the gas stove and keep the boiled vegetables covered for at least 10 minutes.
• After 10 minutes, drain out all the water, and keep the vegetables aside.
• Dry all the vegetables in sunlight for one day.
• Heat some oil in a pan. Now let the oil cool down a bit and add salt, crushed mustard seeds, asafetida, turmeric, red chili powder, and all the dried vegetables in it. Fry well.
• Now add lemon juice in it, and mix well.
• Dry this mixture in the sunlight for 3-4 days.
• Store the pickle in a jar.